Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Green Project Day 2: Faux Papier Mache Eggs

     So a week ago I was checking out my friend Abby's blog, and she had featured these little eggs, and I just loved the idea.  I thought I would try my hand at it. Her blog Tales and Trials is really great, and you should check it out after you read mine first. ;)
     Here is a very easy, very cheap, slightly time consuming project to jazz up the house for Easter, and you probably have all the materials on hand!

First, start by cutting little strips of paper from a book you will no longer be needing. ( I found that narrow strips could be manipulated better, but shorter strips were great for the tops and bottoms of the eggs. )

Soak the paper in warm water until they are pliable. Being wet will make them lay flat on the egg.


 These are the eggs I used.  They are slightly larger than the little Easter eggs.  I just liked the size better.

Put a coat of Elmer's glue or Mod Podge on the top of the egg.  Lay strips in random fashion to cover the top.  Then coat the bottom half with glue, and lay strips across that half.  I only did this to keep you from holding a gluey egg in your hand while working.

Brush the finished product with a mixture of Elmer's and water.  I used half and half. Allow to dry overnight.

 Put in a cute basket, or jar as Abby did.

Voila!  An Easter decoration that cost next to nothing!

UPDATE: I decided to see what an egg looked like covered in map on a whim.  Here it is:

1 comment:

  1. You're eggs look great! Way better than mine actually! Thanks for linking up to the blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete