Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crepe Paper Topiary Tutorial

     This week is my MOPS group's last meeting, and the theme is an old fashioned tea party.  We are supposed to decorate our tables, and I couldn't resist the temptation to make a topiary, something I've been wanting to do for a while.  Rosettes are all the rage right now, and I saw a great idea online for making them out of crepe paper.  They look surprisingly realistic, and are CHEAP to make.  It was time consuming fun to do! Here's what I did.
     Supplies 
1 large roll of crepe paper
Glue gun and several glue sticks
dowel rod ( I used 7/8" size)
6" diameter styrofoam ball
4" floral foam
container of your choice
spanish moss


 Start by rolling the crepe paper. Try not to notice that my fingernails look like a little boy's.

 Keep rolling.


 Keep rolling. It is important to pinch the bottom as you roll.  This makes little pleats, and makes the "petals" full and realistic.  When the rose is your desired size, tear the paper, and dab a bit of hot glue onto the rose, holding the end in place. Repeat this step a gazillion times.


 Adhere the roses to the styrofoam ball with your glue gun.  Position them tightly so the styrofoam doesn't show through.


 Cut a hole in the center of your ball.  I used a knife to do this.  Fill with hot glue, and place the dowel rod in the hole, holding it in until the glue dries.  I ended up using about half the length of my dowel rod.


 Paint your dowel rod your desired color with craft paint. When your styrofoam ball is covered, stick it into floral foam.  I glued my floral foam to the bottom of the container for extra stability.


Cover the foam with spanish moss, and tie a cute bow around your dowel rod.  Your topiary is finished!  C'est magnifique!

Time elapsed: Too much! (But it really was easy and fun!)

3 comments:

  1. This is really cute and seems inexpensive. I'll have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really my style but I can see these being great wedding decorations if you can enlist several hands to help complete them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oo la la love these tissue rosettes!! I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete