Thursday, November 11, 2010

My favorite place to Shop for Christmas

     Well, Halloween is over which means every retailer in America is bombarding us with holiday music and threatening countdowns to Christmas. My husband and I have sworn that this is the year will be celebrate the true meaning of Christmas by spending more of our time and money on people in need, and my family is toning down the over-the-top festivities as well, but that being said, I cannot give up shopping altogether.  I just love picking out the right present for a person, and the anticipation is so great that I've been known to give presents away way before Christmas!  This is not to mention that absolute joy I have buying my kids presents, and watching them tear through the wrapping paper.  As long as we remember our Savior and his love this holiday season, a little shopping never killed anyone, right?
     Over the years, I have developed a tried and true method for Christmas shopping.  Years ago, I actually saved the festivities for Christmas Eve day, but looking back that seems absolutely crazy.  I now start plotting around Thanksgiving, and try to catch some of the awesome sales that start then.  Being a military family, we are always traveling over the holidays, and I have learned that buying stuff online and having it shipped to our holiday destination works the best, especially when we visit so many branches of the family. So the last two paragraphs were just a ridiculously long way to say that today I will be sharing some holiday shopping tips with you.
1. Black Friday- If you can handle it, the deals on the day after Thanksgiving can be absolutely amazing.  That being said, take it from someone who semi-seriously considered suicide while standing in line at a Children's Place last year: sometimes it is just not worth it.  If you live in a somewhat rural place it may totally be worth your while.  Newspapers reveal flyers for the event a day early, but searching many websites will give you sneak peeks way early.  Here are some: 

2. Overstock.com- I have never used this site, but people rave about it all the time, so I might give it a shot this season.  They feature $1 shipping, no matter how much you buy.  That can really come in handy on those heavy items.
3. Bidz.com- this website is kind of like Ebay on crack.  I have found some EXCELLENT deals on this site, which features bidding on jewelry and more.  It is very fast-paced, but I have found that if you stay up late at night there is less competition.  Get high-quality jewelry for a fraction of the price!
4. Etsy.com- This website is like Ebay, only everything is handmade.  Support local artisans, or get a one-of-a kind piece from someone across the world.  They offer everything from jewelry to stationery, to clothing, toys, furniture and more! Prices are generally very reasonable. Support the handmade movement!
5. Ebay.com- since I mentioned two sites "like" Ebay, I might as well give credit to the real McCoy.  I have found so many heartfelt gifts on this site over the years.  I think many people shy away from it because it may seem slightly tacky, but I can't tell you many awesome finds I have had on here.  Not only do I find awesome prices on crafty things like Cricut cartridges and accessories, I one year found an antique pencil box that so closely resembled my mom's childhood one that it brought tears to her eyes.  You could search and search through every antique store in your area and not find what Ebay has a hundred of.

     Well, this article either seemed horribly obvious, or gave you some new ideas.  Either way, I wish you the best in your shopping, and hope you avoid the homicidal urges which so often accompany the joys of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment